Thursday, October 12, 2006

A Dream in the Dark Night

After years of tossing and turning,
seeking and finding,
living and dying,
restless all the while,
I came across my Lord,
sitting there alone.
Never met Him in person before,
but I sat there alongside Him,
and just had to know:

“Do you love me?” I asked, as innocently as I could.
“Yes,” He simply said.
“Really?” I dared to say.
“Yes,” He quickly replied.
Determined still, I spoke: “Are you sure?”
“Yes,” He replied in the very same tone.
I sighed, still slightly concerned

…paused…

and one last time muttered: “Are you sure?”
“Yes,” His sound beginning before the end of mine,
gazing down at His own Hands, unperturbed.

I paused again, to compute.

“Then no more evil, no more good –
that You love me is life to me, it really is.
I can rest now, here, in love.”

The air so thick and warm with easiness,
I lay my head there on His shoulder, all cares ceased.
“And one more thing,” His voice with passion whispered,“I love you.”

And with that I could sleep.

No comments: