Monday, October 30, 2006

Death of a President

Review

I don't know why I was excited to see this film. It's not that I really hate Bush, nor do I like him. I hated Bush... maybe I forgot that I don't really care anymore.

In any case, I sat through 1 hour and 45 minutes of bogus interviews collaged in a mock-up documentary that fanticizes the death of President George W Bush. I must say it was in poor taste and without a valuable point. I feel slightly like an attempt was made to woo me, to propogate me, to pull me left a little, but to no avail. I'm firmly indifferent.

In the film, George W Bush is assassinated and Dick Cheney assumes the throne, which, as we all know, will make absolutely no difference in how the world is run - Cheney was President all along.

It seems that any point the movie tried to make was this: those in power will choose a verdict that suits their purposes and will fill in the blanks, as it were, so everyone else believes the verdict too, only to use it as fuel to push their agenda. In this case, the Patriot Act III. Nothing new.

I'm disappointed. For a film that knew it would receive a lot of hype for its title alone, they didn't capitalize on such foresight. It was like being at a dinner party, mingling amongst the crowd, when one guy stands up on a chair clinking his glass with a dessert spoon. "Excuse me!" he says, "Can I get everyone's attention please!". With every conversation paused and every eye on him, there's silence. Finally, he clears his throat - the anticipation felt - and says, "just thought I'd say hello!" and stands back down.

No comments: