Thursday, November 02, 2006

To End All Wars

Review

I've watched To End All Wars several times now, including once this week. The first time I saw it was the most impacting, of course, and it may have had something to do with my then emotional state, but I have never been so profoundly touched and shocked by a film as I have by this one.

The Story is a true one. It's of a Scottish regiment held as POWs in Thailand by the Japanese in the second world war to end all wars. In brutal violation of the Geneva Convention these soldiers are kept in worse condition than animals, and are put to work building a railroad for the Emperor of Japan.

To help them find meaning in their extreme suffering, the men begin a 'Jungle University' and learn from the works of Plato and Jesus, to name two. The content of their learning then is called into action in their daily lives.

If you can stand a little brutality and a little swearing, I would very highly recommend this film. As I said, no other has affected me near as much.

2 comments:

Peter Thurley said...

A friend of mine (ironically, someone that I graduated from Mouat with) is hosting a showing of this film in Kitchener tomorrow night. I'm going to go see it. I've been thinking about war a lot lately; I'm working on a couple of papers in the theory of just war, and so I am really interested in seeing this film.

Matt said...

So good! Let us know how you liked (or disliked) it...