Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Word, The Embodiment

John says that “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” The Word he was referring to was Jesus, and he was speaking of the entrance/coming of Jesus to our world, to creation.

I can’t help but be filled with joy at the observation of our creation when I consider deeply the nature of language, of our communication. It’s insanely creative that we can bring from the unseen world of thought a perceivable form of what is there – an object for the common reality. We all have our own little reality inside which is only observable and knowable by ourselves. But there is also the reality that is shared by everyone (however real or false it is), where matter is and can be observed and interacted with by everyone. I imagine a small red ball – my own reality. I see a small red ball – the common reality.

Words are a bridge from our inner reality to the common reality; they enable us to communicate what is going on inside, to make an object of our inner selves for the common reality. It’s a fantastic creation that these dime-thin vocal chords, and air pressure, and wind pipe movement can put out a combination of sounds that can be interpreted and perceived like the small red ball in the common reality.

And so it is that God, the one whom we cannot see or perceive with the resources we have to perceive the common reality, made an object of himself in Jesus. He is the word of God, the expression of God’s own unperceivable reality, the creation of God (as opposed to ‘by God’). The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us, John said.

What’s even more wild and joy-inspiring is the why of this Word: why did He do this? Why did He make an object of Himself and come to live among us? In fact the what and the why are synonymous; they define each other. He is love, so He came. He came, so He is love.

2 comments:

Dan Wall said...

Hey there.... great entry! This sentence really struck a chord in me:

"It’s insanely creative that we can bring from the unseen world of thought a perceivable form of what is there – an object for the common reality."

This is a bit of a tangent, but I was reminded me of the amazement I have sometimes at the dexterity of movement I take for granted. Somehow these "unseen thoughts" are transferred into movement- another "object for the common reality." How do my thoughts tell my fingers to type when I'm not even thinking about typing? How do my feet keep me balanced when I'm not even thinking about balancing? "Insanely creative" describes it well.

Thanks again, keep on bridging the gap between your 'inner reality' and our 'common reality'.

Stacey said...

I will respond on your post to an off topic comment with an off topic comment!

No not yet! I am soooo in decisive about what I want and I want to make sure that I love what I get seeing as how it is going to be on my body for the rest of my life! I have kinda changed my design idea again too so we will see! I will hopefully get it this summer though...hopefully. I will be sure to let you know when it happens.