Monday, May 21, 2007

On Forgiveness...

If I were to ask you what the foundation of Christianity is, the bottom line, I think most of us would come up with the same answer: forgiveness. But I am always surprised how little attention this gets, and how little teaching, especially when the following words of Jesus are brought to mind: For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forigve you; but if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins (Mt 6:14,15). The weight of that verse is huge, even astronomical. To think that our forgiveness, the very provision of salvation, is implied conditional! They should really be talking more about this!

As someone who's had to do a lot of forgiving in his day, I discovered something of great value and help a while back. It was in finding a key to loving people, because I have not always loved people; I have mostly always hated them, in all honestly. I got to thinking about how every single human being is lovable; every single human being has been loved (if you'll allow that generalization). Even horrible murderers, rapists, and even despotic psycho-rulers had someone cry when they died. If even they can be loved by someone, if by even one person, then it is possible for me to love them too. If my own offender is loved by others, they are lovable by me. I believe this is how God views us; after all, He loves everyone as well right?

In realizing that, honestly, it wasn't much help, but it was a stepping stone. It doesn't say how to love, to look past flaws, and even look past their direct offenses against us. I had Stephen in mind; this is the forgiveness I wanted the capability of (see Acts 7:60).

It was in contemplating God's love for me, and trying to figure out why some would and some wouldn't love me (understand context, I only have myself to contemplate as I know myself the best). It came to the fact that God understands, because He's seen all and knows all my motivators and deep psychological triggers, and most of all, He sees my heart - his pearl of great price. I realized then that it's in understanding. The worst psycho-killer can be found to have been tormented as a child, and while yes, he has made horrendous choices and decisions, is largely a product of his environment. And we can blame it on the parents, but they are the way they are because of their parents, and so on. We can keep pushing blame up the family tree (sins of the fathers...) until we get to Adam. (There's much to be said about taking responsibility for your own offenses as well; after all, how can you give something away that is not in your possession? This, however, helps those of us on the forgiving side of the equation).

Point is, every human is understandable. However, this doesn't excuse them, it just makes them lovable, and for God's children, forgivable.

Now, as it is impossible to fully understand even one person, let alone every one we need to forgive, it's easier to then make simple assumptions. Good assumptions. We can assume, now, that all humans are understandable, and let that fact alone fuel loving them. Also, we can assume that because they are understandable, they are all lovable. And finally, because there are so many indicators of this in the Bible (John 3:16, 2 Peter 3:9), we can assume that in each and every human being is a heart, a centric yet oft-neglected object capable of so much good, a pearl of great price. I mean, consider that price, let it describe the worth of each and every one of us.

This all helped me, so I thought I'd share; maybe it'll help some of you. It's so hard to forgive, yet so necessary.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I constantly struggle to forgive people in my life. I seem to want to hold onto the power and keep control. But I have been forgiven many times and it is only right that I give back the forgiveness I have been given. Your right Matt, it is so necessary.

Matt said...

Hey Matt...I'm Matt. Peter Thurley's brother in law. Good for you in writing about forgiveness. Unforgivenss is the only unforgiveable sin. We all need to be soberly reminded of the importance of forgiveness.