Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Ambitious India

"India's state-run space agency approved its first indigenous manned mission into space yesterday, aiming to put an astronaut outside the Earth's atmosphere by 2014... The mission is expected to cost US$2.2-billion. ISRO is already working on the launch of its first unmanned mission to orbit the moon in 2008." National Post, 11/8/2006

"...the number of Indians living in extreme poverty approaches 300 million." http://uk.oneworld.net/

I don't know that I need to say much else to express my disagreement with India's decision to flex its spatial muscles, or to at least get in the game. I admit I don’t have all the facts, nor the sentiment of those 300 million living in "extreme poverty" in that country regarding the endeavor. Nor do I know the benefit on the economy of becoming a member of the 100-mile-high club; could be great or small, could be none at all. But at first glance, this seeming-vain expenditure seems like a snub to their poor, actually more like a slap in the face.

No comments: