Sunday, March 18, 2007

Grandparents...

Feeling very bad about my grandparents, I took a day off work last week to go visit with my dad and sister. Though sad, I was very much assured that the staff at this facility knew what they were doing, and that they actually did it with care. It’s a private care centre run by a Christian organization, which shouldn’t make you assume it’s good care, but from what I saw, it is. They make sure my grandparents eat their meals together, and see each other as often as possible.

I really love old people; I met Kassi, who spelled her name for me several times, but when I asked her what her last name was, she couldn’t remember. It was very sweet. I also helped this lady in a wheelchair who was coming inside off the deck because it was chilly outside; she couldn’t get in the door on her own, and no one was around to help, so I pushed* her in and sent her on her way.

My grandma didn’t want us to leave and thanked us profusely for coming and helping her. She cried again as we left, and I think we all did as well. *sigh* so sad. Here we are:

* wheelchair, there was a wheelchair; kinda sounds bad "I pushed her in"

3 comments:

Stacey said...

That's wonderful to hear that they are living in a good facility. It's great when the staff are truly caring individuals and love the residents. I am sure your Grandma loved to have you visit. It probably made her whole week. And yes, some old people are soo cute!

Jessica Dos Santos said...

It's so great that you guys got out there for the day! I'm sure your grandparents just loved it! It's great to hear that the staff are doing all that they can....I don't always get that impression with some care facilities.
It sounds like you were quite an interactive visitor.....and loved every minute of it. :)

Jen S. said...

Awww, Grandma! She doesn't look aged too much at all. Crazy. I know she longs for home, but I wonder if she might be here for awhile yet...poor girl.
Glad to hear of this update! Thanks!
Good for you for going over for a visit. It's been awhile for me.