Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Catholics

I figured my last 2 posts were sort of negative, so I'd spice it up a bit with something nice...

From time to time I attend mass or Sunday vespers, and quite often I go to the Mission Abbey when I have a need to escape, or even retreat (they offer rooms if you want to spend a few days).

There is something awe-inspiring, I find, about the lineage of the priesthood, down which the torch has been passed on since Peter. And of course, Peter received the proverbial torch from Christ Himself. I find that incredible!

I also find it incredible that all these men (the monks) have vowed their lives away, have given up so much in the pursuit of salvation and wholeness. It's a very tangible expression of their devotion. Who in Evangelica can say that? We have nothing equivalent to monks.

I have actually pondered doing something similar to being a monk from time to time in my life. This should come as no surprise to those who know me. My blog is titled 'My Hermitage' after all. But that's another subject.

I love Catholics!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

The Abbey is a great place to go and experience a quiet moment with God. It is so beautiful there. I don't go often enough. It's strange that I seem to be able to make time to watch a TV show even with my crazy school schedule, but sometimes make excuses that I don't have enough time for God...hmmm..sad.